February 16, 2011

SEARCHING FOR THE LIGHT

Each month, we highlight some of the reflective posts of our work study students. Unedited, they blog about observations, experiences and thoughts about diversity in their lives as seen through their lenses.


I like to think that passion almost always overcomes doubt; that it keeps hope nearby and reassurance alive. Lately, doubt has been prevailing. When I got to Stonehill, I did not think I was going to be so involved with diversity. Today, I am thankful that I am. I have learned more than I anticipated. Acquired skills that I didn’t even think existed. Most of all, I met some of the most amazing people ever.

The struggle of diversity on this campus never seems to dwindle. Though I have been given the tools to take on this struggle, at times I don’t see a light at the end of the tunnel. The office of Intercultural Affairs holds tons of events for students to partake in. Their mediums vary, there are documentaries shown, panels held, even speakers are invited to share their expertise or personal stories. It’s sad when I attend a program and the people who are there came only for extra credit, or only 6 people show up. The resources to learn and expose one’s self to diversity are available. There is even an Intercultural Research Center that most students at Stonehill don’t even know about. If they have heard about it, usually it is described as the “small room next to the SGA office.” Comments like this make me think that the work I do on this campus goes unnoticed, but still I continue to move forward.

My passion has always directed the choices I make in my life. So, when a merit point is the only reason people show to an event it makes me wonder why I even bother. I know change does not come easy nor does it happen overnight. So I fight and keep hoping that at the end of the day, these efforts are reaching someone. However, now-a-days the little victories just don’t make the cut. My doubt begins, with the inability to change what surrounds me.